Pages

Wednesday 30 January 2008

Where does the name Cavania come from?

I often get asked where does Cavania come from? It's a family name and I have always loved it from a small child even to the point I wanted to name one of my children this. Which I guess I did in a way, Cavania is my second child with amount of hours and attention it requires. As some are aware my Grandfather Christopher Cavania Sanders RA was a Royal Academician and this is where the artistic side comes in. I myself knew very little about my Grandfather as he had his first stroke when I was 6 years old and then went on to have numerous more, which left him unable to communicate, paint or tend to himself. I often wondered the story behind this Man who started life in Yorkshire as the son of a horse dealer and ended up as a highly regarded artist. So I asked my Uncle Roger, Christopher's first born, if he could jot down a life story for me. I thought you might like to share and so I am going to post it in five parts.Oil on canvas, Upper Westgate, Wakefield 1934-1960 curtesy of The Hepworth, Wakefield

No comments: